Sunday, January 23, 2011

Over the Mountains and through the Woods to Dan and Tiff's House We Go

So a little over a week after being home from Miami, Dad stopped in Raleigh to pick me up to head to Pataskala, Ohio. When Dad and I awoke Tuesday morning the 11th in Raleigh, there wasn't quite 4-6 inches of snow, but there was a nice thick layer of ice waiting for us.  It again took quite a few tries to get out of our driveway and it was pretty slow going until we made it to a main road.  I don't know why I choose to travel on days that seem to scream "STAY HOME"!  Anyway, once on the highway, the trip was pretty smooth, though it snowed for most of our way up there

Our original plan for this trip was to get to Ohio in time to help Dan and Tiff with Kaili while Averi received her third round of chemotherapy and subsequently stayed in the hospital to recover. When we were about halfway through our trip, we received a phone call from Dan explaining that Averi's count was not high enough for her to begin her chemotherapy this week.  We felt so bad for Tiff and Dan as they really just want to get through these treatments so they can begin living life again.  I think there is no worse feeling in the world than the feeling that you can't move forward.  So, Averi would have to wait a week in order to get her blood tested again.  Dan felt frustrated that Dad and I would then be there during a time that they would not really need us since Averi and therefore Tiff would be at home.  Though, after being able to spend so much time with Averi at home, I count myself blessed to have had this time with her.  She is such a joy!  More on that later...

After about 7 or 8 hours in the car, I performed a miracle.  I converted Dad.  It's truly a beautiful thing to see someone's views change when they read this book for the first time and they love it.  Dad is now a fan of Harry Potter.  I know.  I know.  A miracle, right?  We started listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and any time we stopped listening to pump gas, answer a phone call, etc., Dad would remind me that we could listen to the book, but only if I wanted to of course.  It's okay Dad.  Don't be ashamed.  Stand for what you know to be good entertainment. 

FINALLY!  We arrived.  As I said earlier, Dad and I got to spend a week with Averi at home.  She is pretty much always smiling and she has the sweeeeeeetest smile I have ever seen.  You just can't ever be mad at Averi.  On Tuesday the 18th, Averi had her blood tested again.  A normal count is about 1,500 (don't ask me what they're counting... I just know that they get a blood sample and you receive a number back representing some count).  Her count came back at just over 2,900!! Apparently playing with her Auntie Shantie really boosted her spirits!  Grandpa probably helped with that too.  Averi loves her Grandpa.  Miss Averi went into the hospital early the following Thursday and Grandpa and I began our duty of watching over Kaili and preparing meals.

What a blessing this has been to get to witness such a strong family handle such a difficult trial in such a beautiful way.  Tiffany says that if anyone's kid was this ill, they too would rise to the challenge.  I believe to some to degree this is true.  But, I just don't know if anyone would be able to handle as well as Dan, Tiff, Kaili, and Averi.  Dan works so hard to take care of his family.  His down time consists of traveling to the hospital after work to spend time with his family.  Tiff is such a bubbly person.  I tease her for always singing what she's saying.  I think this is where Averi gets her joy from.  You just can't help but smile when Tiff is around.  Kaili is such a sweet big sister. She prays for her sister and her parents in every prayer she says.  It's amazing that a four year old can care so much!  And Kaili, I need to tell you something.  I love playing Barbies with you! And Grandpa loves playing pirates with you! (Kaili preps everything she says with an "I need to tell you something".)

So that leads us to where we are now in our trip.  Grandpa and I have Kaili duty and we're lovin' it.  Nathan loves Kaili too.  He now follows her around the house instead of following me.  I kind of feel left out!  Dan and Tiff switch off staying with Averi in the hospital.  Every evening Grandpa and I bring dinner to the hospital so that the family can always have dinner together.  Again, I feel blessed to be here in Ohio and have the chance to observe the Fisher family.  They are truly an inspiration!

 Nathan getting ready to go out in the cold.


 Playing in Ohio


 Tiffany volunteered (crazy lady :) ) to make these adorable plastic bag holders for their church building.  I'm going to attempt making some when I get home.


 Averi enjoying her dinner from a straw- all smiles


 Hey all you granddaughters!  Grandpa enjoys playing Barbies!


 Why use a little bowl?  It's all psychological I guess.


 At the hospitals, they have little wagons the kids can ride around in.  Nathan was giggling for the most part while in the wagon.  Maybe he can get a wagon for his birthday.


 Averi's first night in the hospital.  Kaili loves her little sister.


 Averi's home away from home.  Nathan would never survive staying in such a confined area for 3-4 weeks.  Both he and I would go nuts!


 Averi just loves her daddy.  I caught a little moment they shared when Dan joined us for dinner after work.


 Nathan's first time playing in the snow.  He didn't like it much.  We pretty much just got this pic then went inside.


Kaili is in that coat somewhere making snow angels.


For family home evening, Kaili directed us in "I am a Child of God."  She is very talented as you can see.


Before I started recording, Nathan was following Kaili around.  He only did it a little bit in this video, but gives you just a taste of how much he loves Kaili.  Maybe Andrew we need to give Nathan a little sister to play with.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I count myself lucky to have had the chance to go to Ohio. Dan has an awesome family! Dan said it would be "work" but it was so much fun! That is so adorable that Liriel fasts for Averi. Children are such faith builders! Love you guys and can't wait to see you at the reunion!

    ReplyDelete