Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Play Group, Piano, and Surgery! Oh My!

For this post, the title may be a little deceiving.  I didn't attend a playgroup that involved a piano hurting someone to the point that they needed surgery.  I just have some random pics to share.

I attend an awesome playgroup with about 7 awesome women.  We get to pick up tricks of the trade from one another which has been extremely helpful to me since being a mom is relatively new. This past Friday we had playgroup at my house and we had a small showing due to changing nap schedules and sick babies.  But we had a good time and I got a pic of the two little girls and Nathan (and me in the background still in my pajamas- not my proudest moment).


The one little girl right next to Nathan (Lisa-Jean) I think will be turning 2 in May.  The one to the far left (Jude) is about 17 months.  I took this picture to show how big Nathan is in comparison.  He's almost as big as Jude!  He's only 10 1/2 months!  They're such a cute group of kids.  Before playgroup was over, Lisa wanted a close-up.


 That's Lisa's mom (Autumn) in the background- she's due with her second baby (a boy) any day now. I've made it a point that every time I see her I ask, "Still pregnant, huh?"

So we now have Terry and Arthur's piano at our house.  Terry's happy to have more space in their house and we're happy to have joyful noise-making.  I love a noisy house, especially when it's the good kind.  Andrew  now gets to develop his talent and I'm happy to benefit from his development.  Nathan isn't particularly fond of loud noises so I was a little nervous to see how he'd react to the piano, but he loves it!  Andrew plays and Nathan will sit at his feet and wiggle around trying to dance.  Nathan also likes to sit in Daddy's lap and play a little himself.  I think we have a little Mozart on our hands.






Nathan even enjoys playing duets with his friend Aiden.

Yesterday, February 15th, was a little nuts.  Andrew went in for surgery on his knee.  He partially tore his ACL his freshman year at BYU while attempting to jump over one of his friends.  His friend, like any good friend would, ducked out of the way at the last second and sent Andrew flying over him for a unexpected hard landing.  Andrew then just a couple years ago decided to play racquetball on his bad knee, like any sane man would, and he tore the rest of his ligament.  After he tore the rest of his ligament, he of course still had to finish the game.  He then walked around for two years with no ACL.  The most disgusting thing was that when Andrew was sitting, you could pull his femur forward.  I can't even explain it right, but trust me, it was gross. 

Before his surgery, Andrew had a nerve block done which is when the doctor sticks a needle close to your groin (yikes!) to numb the femoral nerve.  This is a pic right after the nerve block but right before the surgery.  He was already a little out of it.


When Andrew was out of surgery, he was waaaaay out of it.  It's mean, but I giggled a little at him.  He was shaking pretty bad after the surgery so he was in recovery for about an hour and half before I could see him.  The nurse and I managed to get Andrew in the car and I got him home to rest.  Nathan was so excited to see his Daddy when we got home even though Dad now looks like bionic man with his brace. Andrew will be walking with crutches for a week or two and then will hobble for a little while.  He'll  be fully recovered hopefully in time for the family reunion.  Andrew is such a trooper.  Since he's had a kidney stone, this knee surgery isn't as painful.



We were taking a lot of pictures and saying "cheese!" to get Nathan to smile, and he actually responded with a smile!  He's growing up so fast!


1 comment:

  1. Here's to a fast recovery, Andrew. I hope you'll be able to jump over your friends again soon. :) Okay, maybe just Nathan from now on. ;) Cute pics of Nathan-boy!

    ReplyDelete